The call for timeless and timely music
As musicians, (un)fortunately, we live in an era of abundance, and hence it's no surprise that the shelf life of songs is getting lower day by day. Therefore, expecting our songs to become timeless is probably, an unrealistic expectation even though it's a beautiful idea.
So, how do we keep our motivation going? One possible solution is to manage our expectations by changing the goals or intended outcomes. Maybe what the market needs is a quick and easy-to-digest song that has a lesser shelf life to satisfy the musical cravings instantly. However, from a musician's point of view, this might not be a satisfying goal.
Here is where musicians need to keep a balance. A possible achievable strategy would be to find time to build something timeless + find time to build something timely. Of course, every musician has his or her own personal goals so, this strategy is not a universal one. Here are a few reasons we think this method makes sense:
Timeless music: Can take a lot of time but, eventually, we might leave a legacy behind. Also:
1. It might involve networking with other talented musicians/artists from different parts of the world.
2. It might require a higher financial budget to pay session musicians, marketing campaigns, artwork, branding, and so on.
3. It might involve a lot of brainstormings to come up with ideas and wisdom that can make the song timeless.
Timely music: - Can be significant to thrive as a musician. Also:
1. It can help build a fan base to launch your timeless music album later.
2. It can help inspire budding musicians since you are sharing your progress and persistence as a musician.
3. It can help educate the next generation of musicians as you will be sharing tips and tricks along your way to making that timeless music album.
4. It can assist in the personal development for musicians as you are always learning something and making progress along the way.
At The Cocoknot Theori, we are striving to achieve a balance between the two. We are taking our own time to work on our debut music album in terms of timeless music. Hence, we have released only one single so far called Outlived.
In terms of staying timely and relevant, we share different projects, ideas, tips, and inspiration through our blog as we make progress on the journey to make our debut music album. The various background scores, jingles, and short film assignments we did were a part of artist development and learning.
Do sign up to our regular blog updates, where we intend to deliver timely content.